The transition to renewable energy is an important factor in the greening of your business for a number of reasons:
- Energy derived from fossil fuels is one of the major contributing factors of atmospheric pollution and climate change;
- Renewable energy is now cheaper than any other energy source;
- There are long-term cost savings to be made by investing now in renewable energy with the outlay of some capital;
- The installation of renewable energy (particularly solar) can be scaled up and need not be a one-time investment.
For countries in the Pacific that enjoy many hours of sunshine, it should be a no-brainer for businesses to quickly transition to solar powered energy.
Companies all over the globe are turning their business to 100% renewable because it makes business sense… plus it is good for the environment, the climate and people’s health.
Whether you want to derive your business’ energy needs from renewable sources immediately or this is part of your plans for the future, the first step you need to take is to improve the efficiency in your electricity use. Making the necessary changes to have better efficiency, will also mean you need to lay less capital for your solarisation project as you would need to generate less electricity.
There are some simple steps you can take immediately:
- Change all your lights to energy saving LED lights;
- Aim for high energy star appliances and equipment which ensure more efficient energy usage;
- Discourage people from switching on their Air Conditioners by providing windows with mosquito netting;
- Put up signs so people switch off air conditioners, lights and other equipment when they leave their work space; and
- Provide training to staff to become more aware of their electricity use.
Taking the step to transition to renewable
If you need help in transitioning to renewable energy, help is available in the Pacific. We suggest you contact those businesses who have already taken that step (see here) or talk to the people who are doing it for them, such as Sunergise.